Under its retainer contract with the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, TKB converted an existing unused instructional laboratory at the 1902 Noyes Laboratory building into a new general assignment lecture hall complete with current audio-visual technology. This work required decommissioning the former lab with its abandoned gas piping without disrupting ongoing experiments in nearby labs. To accommodate the new lecture hall, an adjacent faculty office was converted to an equipment room for a new air handling unit with air ducted to the lecture hall. A second door was added to the lecture hall to accommodate exit requirements for the greater room occupancy, and new AV equipment was integrated into the newly designed lecture hall.
All work required a sympathetic understanding of the building’s historic character; this was an especial focus for the building exterior and the public areas of the building. Historically accurate replacement windows were installed in corridors and designated classrooms. Terrazzo floors in stairs and corridors were repaired and replaced to match existing. Wood doors were restored, and millwork trim matches existing. New LED lighting and corridor sprinkler heads were installed in the renovation area; the design reflects the original corridor lighting appearance with new technology.
All work was carefully scheduled to coordinate with breaks in the academic calendar. Work is fully executed, and the lecture hall is in high demand.